Monday 2 January 2017

A la recherche des recettes perdues...*

I thought I'd lost my recipe for madeleines. I found one, and made it, but it wasn't the same (and some things in the recipe are just wrong!). Then I found the one I've used before, which I particularly like for the method, as much as the ingredients.  Will blog my version here to avoid future crises...

113 grams butter
130 grams all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (not totally sure this is needed...)
3 large eggs, at room temperature
130 grams golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt the butter (I use the microwave).

Mix flour and baking powder in a small bowl.  

Beat eggs and sugar with electric beaters in a bigger bowl until light-coloured and fluffy.   Add vanilla.

Mix some of the batter with the melted butter.  

Then FOLD some of the the flour mixture and some of the butter/batter mixture into the main batter mixture, alternating 2 or 3 times until it's all combined. 

Then cover and chill the batter for 1 hour or overnight. See how thick and bubbly it is? 


Butter and flour madeleine tins (ideally 2x12 larger tins).  Chill in fridge. 

Pre-heat oven to 190C 

Use two spoons to scoop batter into tins.
 


Bake 8-10 minutes, or until firm to touch and golden-coloured.

Gently turn out of pan (you may need a palette knife or firm spatula), then dust with icing sugar.


Eat immediately, while still warm. 

*Blogpost title credits to my Uncle Stuart.


No comments:

Post a Comment